Head Coach: Heather Alexander,
Assistant Coach: Andy Swiston,
Team Manager: Laura Briggs,
Other volunteers: Volunteers are welcome to help administratively, accompany the team on workouts, or give instruction in a specific track or field event (trainer or assistant coach).
Practice Times and Locations: Athletes are expected to run on their own in addition to the 3 practices per week.
- Tuesday: 3-5 PM, Redeeming Grace Church, 5200 Ox Rd, Fairfax
- Thursday: 3-5 PM, RGC
- Saturday: 9-11 AM, Westfield High School track, 4700 Stonecroft Blvd, Chantilly
Conditioning: Jan 12-Feb 20. The conditioning period is extended due to the long layoff for most athletes. Also, given all conditioning will be outdoors, it will only be held weather permitting, and will be called off if the temperature is less than 32 or windchill less than 25; or in case of moderate precipitation or frozen surfaces.
Tryouts: Feb 23-Mar 6. Tryouts are less about running a certain speed and more for you to try out track as well as us to gauge your commitment. However, as the season progresses, time trials will determine top runners for certain meets.
Season: Mar 9-May 14. End date may depend on final meet schedule.
Meets: Held weekday afternoons or Saturdays. Number will vary depending on scheduling availability. Locations will vary from local to 1-2 hour drive.
- Sprint: 100/200/400, 100/300 hurdles
- Middle distance: 400/800
- Long distance: 1 Mile, 2 Mile. Cross Country: Athletes training toward this can attend meets if/when they arise (middle school: 2-mile, high school: 5k).
- Field events: Long jump, shot put, discus
Registration fee: $30, must be paid before an athlete can participate in conditioning or tryouts.
Season fee: Final fee for the year will be determined based on budget and communicated during tryouts (fee in the past has been $180-$200). Once a spot on the team is offered, the athlete has 48 hours to accept the spot on the team by paying the fee.
Black singlets to be purchased in the Online Store for $22 once a spot on the team is accepted. Uniform is completed by a pair of entirely black shorts provided by the athlete.
We will follow the applicable requirements for Virginia and the VHSL, as well as those necessary for our permit from Fairfax County for the Westfield High track. See below for details.
FHSAA Track and Field Training Safety Guidelines
General Guidelines & Information
- All staff and athletes in attendance must check-in with manager
- Hand sanitizer provided at check-in
- Practice and Competition Guidelines
- When not exercising, masks or face coverings should be worn when social distancing cannot be maintained
- Athletes provide their own water bottles, clothing and towels
- Personal items should be spaced apart
- Field athletes are encouraged to purchase their own implements
- Shared equipment will be disinfected between uses